Thursday, June 21, 2012

A One Pot Dish

 Always in the rush to use up my CSA veggies! Tonight we must cook up the Kale and Broccoli!
 Kale and Broccoli Cassarole


Ingredients:

Ingredients:  coconut oil
Coconut oil
kale
mushrooms
onions
garlic
broccoli
Whole milk ( Hatchers or Plain Amasai
3 TB Greek Plain Yogurt for thickness or just stick to the Plain Amasai
Raw Cheddar Cheese or Havarti or a decent grassfed dairy cheese.
Nitrate free prosciutto or bacon. Best is from a local farm.
quinoa,already cooked in a bit of chicken broth=1 cup
dash of thyme
dash of salt and pepper

Method:

First start your Quinoa. I placed 1 cup of the grain in the pot with 2 cups of water and 1 heaping tsp of Chicken paste from "Better than Bouillon" which I found cheapest at Costco and it is Organic. Bring this to a boil and reduce immediately to simmer for 15 -20 min or until desired tenderness.

While that is cooking saute your onions and garlic in Coconut oil. Add in mushrooms for a few minutes and then add in your kale for a bit.

While those two things were happening, I chose to steam my broccoli in a separate pot, I didn't want it getting tough in the pan as I saute which I find happens sometimes.

When the Kale mixture is done, take it out of pan and set aside while you cook your bacon in that same pan. If using prosciutto you can skip this step.

As your quinoa, broccoli, and bacon gets done then just set it all aside separately till it is time to assemble in casserole dish.

Whisk together your liquid dairy and yogurt, 1 more tsp of bouillon, thyme, salt and pepper. Whisk all this together till well combined. Add this to 3/4 of your Kale mixture stirring together and then fold in your broccoli. Reserve the other 1/4 of kale mixture for a nice omelet of frittata dish or just add it all. It really depends on how much of these vegetables you are trying to you use up before they go bad.

Grease your casserole dish now....because, I never do it first! lol
I also don't preheat my oven before now either, because it heats up SUPER fast.
Preheat oven to 350 F

To assemble:

Place a very thin layer of Quinoa in bottom of dish.
 Then just a tiny sprinkle of Cheddar cheese as a layer.
 Next is the kale and yogurt mix sprinkled all over.
Take your bacon and break in pieces all over the casserole dish as your next layer.
 Sprinkle another bit of cheese on now.  This is so little I don't really think of it as a layer.
  Your next layer is the rest of your quinoa sprinkled all over.
 Top with more cheese as a layer, this time. Add as much or as little as you like. It is up to you!
Ok, I know, I have a really poor camera and desperately need to replace it!
 Forgot to show you finished product we were all so hungry and excited by the smell! Ate way more than I thought we would!

Place in the oven for 30 min at 350. This would be great with a pear salad and a vinaigrette.

As you can see, I don't always follow measurements and sometimes I do. What you need to know is , you won't always have everything in the pantry or fridge that you want for a recipe. Sometimes that doesn't matter at all. Sometimes, it does.  If you didn't have any Cheddar, but you had Parmesan or feta, it would taste completely different. However, it would be a brand new dish that you created!

Most of the recipes that are similar to this one called for dairy that my stomach can't handle and or bread/ noodles that my stomach doesn't sit well with. So, I often use quinoa (a gluten free grain).  As for dariy, I love being able to offer all of you Amasai, a cultured dairy that is loaded with probiotics and carries Beta Casein A2 protein instead of Beta Casein A1 protein, which can be highly offensive to our digestive track. The Raw Cheddar and Havarti that I use from Beyond Organic is also made from this protein and is the only cheese that I know of that ,when you heat it, will still carry all the probiotic value as when it was made. You can learn about Amasai and Cheeses that I use here.


No comments:

Post a Comment